Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What a Fun and Busy Weekend!

I am totally shattered. I have had such a fun and busy weekend.

On the Saturday, I went with my family to the Grand Opening of the Just Imagine Story Centre in Chelmsford. We had to get up very early and leave the house at 8am. This is an achievement in itself for me on a weekend.


The Just Imagine Story Centre is the initiative of Nikki Gamble. I have written reviews for Nikki's Write Away website for many years. She told me that her dream of  a Story Centre would never have happened with out her lovely Dad. Here is a picture of Nikki and her Dad:



Just Imagine is a place for sharing stories which will have lots of author, illustrator and story-telling events and will sell books too. On Saturday, Steve Cole, bestselling writer of the Astrosaurs, Cows in Action and Slime Squad series, teamed up with the amazingly talented, Sarah McIntyre, the equally energetic, illustrator and designer of the Just Imagine logo. Sarah cut the ribbon and officially opened the centre's doors to the public at 11am.

There was face-painting and story readings and we made monsters. Even I made one. Joe won the competition for one of the best monsters. It was called Pom Pom and had Eyebrows of Hell, which I don't think are in the picture. I have a sneaky feeling he meant eye lashes. :)


Some of the monsters are going to be made into transfers to decorate the walls of the story centre. It was all go. Joe had his picture taken with Sarah McIntyre:




And the Gruffalo:



Dan had his picture taken with Steve Cole:



It was a fantastic day out. You can find out more about the story centre on Facebook at: Just Imagine Story Centre.

Then, on the Sunday, we had Joe's Birthday party at the soft play area JJ's, in Basingstoke. His Birthday was in the Christmas holidays, so it was a belated birthday party for him and his friends. I've decided next year we are only inviting girls. Boys are a bit yucky - all they do is burp really loud, make farty noises (some of them very smelly!) put ketchup in their ice cream and wear their jeans so low, they show their pants!!! Girls are much nicer.


But, it was a great weekend and we all had a FUN time, especially me - who was probably one of the biggest kids of all.

2 comments:

Julie P said...

Sounds like you had a busy but extremely enjoyable time, Anita! I love the idea of the Story Centre.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I know it is such a great idea. I hope it catches on. They have put a list of future events on Facebook.

Starting from Monday 31st January:
Every Monday 11 - 12 Little Artists: creative art and colouring for 2+ years
Every Wednesday 10.30 - 11.00 Baby action rhyme time for 0 - 3 years
Every Friday 1.00 - 1.45 Story and song with musical instruments for 2+ years
Free of charge and all welcome. Half term activities will be posted on FB soon too.