Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Egmont UK

Yesterday, I went to the first of the SCBWI Professional Series events. I’ve signed up to the whole series, partly because the speakers this year all look amazing and I wouldn’t want to miss them and partly because I get to see all my friends for the first time this year. As you can imagine, I was very excited. I don’t think I stopped talking all evening.

It was an amazing event. Ali Dougal and Peter Marley from Egmont came to speak to us about what they were looking for and the Egmont submission process. Where else could you get this first-hand knowledge? Egmont is the biggest children’s publisher in the UK and one of the only ones left that will still accept unsolicited manuscripts. You can send your manuscripts to: childrensreader@euk.egmont.com

For more on what they are looking for and the submission process read my post at: http://britishscbwi.jimdo.com/events/egmont-meeting/

I took my camera along to take a picture especially for my blog. I even sat In the front row so I would not have the backs of people’s heads in my photo. But... I forgot to take the picture. So, I am posting one of the covers for my new series of books due out in March this year instead. It was either that or another picture of me.


I think you will all agree this book cover is well worth looking at ;) and there have been way too many photos of me posted for one month all ready. I suppose I could have posted another picture of Steve Cole or Sarah McIntyre at the Just Imagine event and I would have done if they could balance on one hand and do the splits. :D

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting Egmont is expanding their digital list. Nationwide digital is growing and the number of products available on the market is increasing slowly but will soon explode. It is an area to be aware of. In 2009, they launched Flips for the Nintendo DS, which is an enhanced e-book. In 2010, they launched a standard e-book list of classic titles. Everything brand new at Egmont will be published in e-book and traditional format. This was an eye-opener.

In late 2010, they launched their first picture book app, Charlie Stinky Socks for the i-pad. It displays pictures, narration, animation and interactivity. It is a financial investment but, they do not know how many they will sell. It is early days yet.

The Bookseller did a survey about people’s opinions on e-books. They reckon Digital may "overtake" print sales by 2014.

For a much more detailed write-up on the event see: Tina Lemon’s –  A Novel Way.

14 comments:

Tina Lemon said...

It was a good event, wasn't it? I can't believe you forgot to take pictures with your front row seats ;)

By the way, that's a nice cover - what will the series entail? Could you imagine a book like that one day also going onto a digital platform? I always wonder how authors feel about that, and what they would like to include if they could...

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hiya Tina,

It is a series of six books aimed at 12+ girls with a reading age of 7+. I have co-written them with my editor Steve Rickard at Ransom publishing. He wrote the non-fiction and I wrote the fiction.

I really enjoyed writing the stories and think it will be a great series. I think they would look amazing digital too :)

Creative said...

Intersting account. But what a pity they are still asking us to send to childrens thingame at whatsit... isn't one of the golden ruels that we always send to a name?

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi Creative,
I suppose it is the way they cope with unsolicited submissions. they go to a reader first and then the best ones are passed on to the correct editor.
All the best,
Anita x

bryonypearce said...

Thanks for this - very interesting. One of the (very few) reasons I miss living in London, is that I won't get to go to the professional series. It's good to know people will be doing useful write-ups.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

My pleasure Bryony :)

MC Rogerson said...

Thanks Anita. Really appreciate the feedback from these events.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I hope you found it useful Mel :)

Sarah McIntyre said...

Glad to hear the event went well! Aw, I'll have to practice my streetlocking moves. Could never manage the splits, even as a kid.

Steve said...

What a coincidence - the picture on your cover is actually me! Fortunately they chose that one and not the one they took half a second later when my arm broke and I crashed into a pile of old drums. I had to abandon street-dance and take up writing instead. But the suffering has made me a better artist. :) In real life - well done and hurrah for all your news!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

LOL Steve! You said you were a good dancer. :)

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Sarah, I can't do the splits either. In fact, I can't even do a handstand. But, in my imagination....

Candy Gourlay said...

Terrific post, Anita! I was so sorry to miss it. And that cover is amazing! However I do have a photo of Sarah McIntyre doing a backflip on my trampoline ... let me know when you need it!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Haha! Good to know! I will keep that in mind, Candy. ;)