Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Bill Bryson wins 2010 Educational Writers' Award

The Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) and the Society of Authors yesterday announced that Bill Bryson had been awarded the 2010 Educational Writers’ Award for A Really Short History of Nearly Everything  (Doubleday), which was abridged and edited by Felicia Law. 

The award was made at the All Party Writers Group (APWG) Winter Reception at the House of Commons by Lord Hill, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools, who presented a £2,000 cheque to the winners. Bill Bryson shared the cash prize with Felicia Law.


Last year I went along to the award ceremony and felt very grand being at the House of Commons. I had to have my photo taken for the security badge as I entered and the canapes and wine were very good. I get an invite because I am on the Educational Writers' Group committee for the Society of Authors.

This year I decided not to go along as it was cold and I have been going to London quite a bit recently - the guilt has finally set in. However, maybe I should have gone. It sounded like a fun evening. The 2010 Award focused on books for 12 -18 year olds published in 2009 and 2010. A Really Short History of Nearly Everything beat off strong competition from a shortlist that was described as:

“highlighting humour, scholarship and lateral thinking.”

Fellow shortlistees for 2010 included: Ben Crystal for Shakespeare on Toast (Icon Books); John Farndon for Do You Think You’re Clever? (Icon Books) and Liz Strachan for A Slice of Pi (Constable).

The 2010 judging panel comprised three educational experts: school librarian Maggy Campbell, teacher Louise Gerrard and writer Stewart Ross.

The submission deadline for the 2011 award for the 5 – 11 year age group is 1st June 2011.

2 comments:

Tina Lemon said...

Aaaaah - the chancellor of my Alma Mater...

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I would have loved to have met him. Such a shame I never went.
:(