Thursday, November 04, 2010

National Non-Fiction Book Day



Today, is National Non-Fiction Book Day. It is the first event to celebrate children's non-fiction books and is going to be held on the first Thursday of November every year from now on. The event has been organised by Adam Lancaster, Chair of the Federation of Childrens Book Groups and is sponsored by Scholastic.

Adam said:
"We hope that by celebrating Non-Fiction we can really show not just the range of great information there are out there and how great the authors of them are but also highlight how important these books are to the children that read them and love them."
As an author of children's illustrated non-fiction this statement is so true to my heart. It is about time that something was done to raise the profile of children's non-fiction books. For too long it has been viewed as the second class alternative to fiction.

When I was teaching, I suggested inviting in a non-fiction author to do some workshops with the children. The looks on the other teacher's faces took me by surprise and instead they got a fiction author in. So, I decided to do non-fiction workshops with my class myself and we made our own encyclopaedias about the Ancient Greeks. Yet, there are plenty of Children's Non-Fiction Authors who are available to do events in schools and libraries.

I always made sure there was a selection of non-fiction books in the book corner as well as fiction. Although, I must admit some of these books were a bit dull and boring looking. But nowadays, there are loads of fantastic, innovative non-fiction books for children to explore. Adam Lancaster has described it as...

"A factual revolution."

Why not join the revolution? Leave me a comment and let me know some of your favourite children's non-fiction books.

2 comments:

Lynne Hackles said...

The History of Chocolate. I read it with Dan and I didn't know half the information. It was a short easy read, lots of pictures and very entertaining. But we had to eat chocolate after we'd been reading about it.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

What a great excuse to eat chocolate. Brilliant :)