Thursday, November 11, 2010

Make the Connections


Tomorrow is the SCBWI Conference in Winchester. There is an amazing line-up. The keynote speakers are: Marcus Sedgwick and Lynne Chapman. There are loads of amazing workshop speakers too. I have been registered on the following sessions:

  •  Letting the Genie Out of the Bottle with Linda Chapman
  • A Sense of Place with Marcus Sedgwick
  • An Agent Walks into a Bar with Jackie Marchant and Jasmine Richards from OUP
  • Writing for Young children with Jane Clarke
Am I excited? You bet I am!!!

It is going to be a very busy and fun-packed weekend. Starting with a Network Co-ordinator's meeting Friday afternoon, which I have to attend because I am now the co-ordinator for the London Region. Then Friday night there are critique sessions and I will be chairing a group. Afterwards, sixty-five of us are going for pizza and pasta at a restaurant in Winchester town. That has to be cool!

Saturday, is an early start at the Winchester University campus with talks and workshops all day, including the Industry Panel. In the evening we're celebrating Ten Years of British SCBWI with a mass book launch and party, where I get to dress-up in my posh frock. I can't wait!

Sunday, we have more talks and workshops and saying goodbye to all my friends, which takes my a while, because I get sad that I am not going to see them again for a long time.

If this isn't good enough reasons for you to think about attending a writing conference, especially a writing conference particularly aimed at children's book writers, then take a look at one of my old posts from 2007: Ten Reasons to Attend Writing Conferences. An abridged version of this post appeared in SCBWI's Word and Pictures magazine Autumn 2007, available free through the listserve.

2 comments:

MC Rogerson said...

Hi Anita,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It was lovely to meet you at the conferences and I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Mel

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thank you Melissa.