Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Halloween

Another Halloween has been and gone and I had great fun getting dressed up and taking my children out trick or treating.

LOL! Yes, I do like to get dressed up and don't really need an excuse to do so. I had even more fun opening the door in my costume to the other kids and seeing the look on their faces, as I dished out the sweets.

But, it got me to thinking about what types of books are available for children, which could be linked to Halloween. There are lots of spooky books for older children about witches, zombies, werewolves and vampires and the like but, what is there for the younger age range?

Off the top of my head I can only think of four:

Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg;
Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson;
Meg & Mog by Helen Nicoll and Jan Pienkowski;
Winnie the Witch by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul.

There has to be more than that? If you know of any others please let me know.

Although, maybe the point is they are not publishing books nowadays that could be linked to Halloween. Maybe it is not politically correct. After all, Halloween seems to be purposely timetabled to fall in the school holidays so that it can not be used as inspiration for creative work in the classroom anymore. Is this just coincidental, or done on purpose to prevent complaints from Religious extremists?

I've no idea! But, it is worth thinking about.

1 comment:

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Another book I should have thought have has just come to mind! How could I forget, Morris the Mankiest Monster? After all, I just blogged about the fab illustrator Sarah McIntyre.

Better late than never, I suppose!