Friday, October 15, 2010

I remember when...

Today is Blog Action Day, an annual event held on October 15th where bloggers, blog about an area of global concern. It is one of the largest social-campaigning events on the web. This year’s topic is water, which got me thinking about drought and the many countries that have a serious lack of water. This reminded me of when I use to go to Cyprus on holiday as a child.



Cyprus has had a rationed water supply for years and years. True, it is not one of the worse-off countries in the world but, I remember when I was a lot younger the water was only turned on in Nicosia for twelve hours in every forty-eight hours. It came as a bit of a shock to me that you were not allowed to flush the toilet after you used it and you had to wash with a bowl of water and a sponge in the bath.

As soon as the water was turned back on, it was mine and my sister’s jobs to help fill all the containers back up with water before it was turned off again. Yet, it made me cross to think that whilst this was going on in the homes where the Cypriot people lived, in all the hotels and tourist places they did not have rationed water. So where I was being told off for running the tap whilst brushing my teeth, the tourists were swimming in massive swimming pools, squirting each other with water pistols and flushing the toilet for fun to see which way the water spun when it went down. Not fair! I bet they did not even know the water was rationed.

However, this has made me more aware of my own water usage, especially when abroad.

I did a little bit of research and found out a couple of years ago, a fleet of tankers from Greece were chartered by the Cypriot government at a cost of £65 million to help combat the emergency rationing. Each tanker held about 1.76 million cubic feet of water.

My mum told me (so it must be true) this year the water situation has improved as they have opened a waste water processing plant outside Nicosia. The recycled water from this plant is apparently used by the farmers for irrigation.

There have also been discussions for a 48-mile-long pipeline from Turkey, which could bring 75 million cubic meters of water a year to the island. This has been called the ‘water for peace’ pipeline, which I think is pretty cool.

Here is the link to the Blog Action Day website, if you want to find out more about the world water crisis and what you can do to help: http://www.blogactionday.change.org/

2 comments:

Lynne Hackles said...

My cousin loved holidaying in Cyprus so much that she moved out there and then discovered water rationing! On the whole the tourists have no idea about the lack of water.
I'd have thought you'd have blogged about there being too much as it reached your doorsteps a couple of years ago.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

LOL!

Maybe I should have especially when the floods were not just down to the heavy rainfall but, to the awful drainage system causing all the sewage to get washed into people's houses. You would have thought that with all the modern technology this sort of thing would not happen in the UK.

There is a very comprehensive report on the flooding here: http://www.thatchamtowncouncil.gov.uk/documents/info/Flooding_in_Thatcham_July07Sep08_Final_Report_251008.pdf

And if you have not all ready seen the photographs I took form the upstairs window, here is my previous post about it: http://amloughrey.blogspot.com/2007/07/annual-writers-holiday.html

Thanks for suggesting this Lynne :)
xxx