Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blast Off with Steve Cole

Yesterday, I took my kids to see Steve Cole at the Wessex Children's Book Festival. The Festival takes place in Winchester, which is only a 45-minute drive down the A34 from me. So, since it was half-term, I thought it would be a great way to spend a morning.

I had originally only planned on taking my boys, since Steve writes alot of boy-orientated series fiction, such as Astrosaurs, Astrosaurs Academy, Cows in Action and Slime Squad. But, after my 16-year-old daughter watched Steve being slimed on YouTube she insisted on coming along too. You can see why:


We arrived quite early as I was nervous about finding a parking space. Whilst we were waiting, all three of my children got a novelty balloon made by the very funny children's entertainer Silly Scott. Dan got a dinosaur, Joe got a space ray gun and my daughter, Christina, got a cute pink Turbo Tortoise bracelet, based loosely on Steve's first picture book.


Then it was time to go into the auditorium to find a seat.

There is one thing that can not be denied - Steve is a dynamic entertainer. He never stops moving. It was so difficult to get a photograph in focus, as he does not stand still long enough. He also has a very vivid and whacky imagination, from monster chairs that bite your bottom to banana vampires. I laughed so much my face ached.

He told us all about his books and where some of the ideas came from and afterwards we queued for nearly an hour to get his signature. Here is Steve trying to shoot my youngest son, Joe, with the space ray gun Silly Scott made:

Isn't my boy a brilliant actor? LOL! Joe has adopted the dinosaur from his brother and is apparantly now a pirate, with a Dinorot permanently on his shoulder. You will have to go watch the show yourself to understand.

You can read more about the Wessex Festival on Steve's blog and don't forget to leave him a comment to say you've visited. Oh yeah... and don't forget to leave me a comment as well. I do like comments. :)

No comments: