Sunday, September 26, 2010

Giants, Basketball and Earthquakes

If I said these three words to you, what would you think of? Well, I know what I would think of and who…

It would most definitely be the amazing Candy Gourlay and her debut novel Tall Story. I was lucky enough to attend not only her book launch at Waterstones in Islington Green but, also more recently the party held in her honour at the Philippine Embassy in London.

Candy has been described as, ‘The author with a whole nation behind her.’ At the party you really got a feel for what a National treasure she really is. The Ambassador gave her one of the best, supportive introductions I have ever heard. I was also able to buy a copy of the Philippine edition of Tall Story, as did her British publisher David Fickling.

If you would like to find out a bit more about Candy and her novel, you can watch this YouTube video of an interview with her for the Morning Show in the Philippines.


You can also read all about Candy's research for her novel in my column ‘Research Secrets’ on pages 16-17 of the November issue of Writers’ Forum.

3 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

I read the excerpt from Tall Story in Writers' Forum and I was so drawn in that I'm going to buy the book (enjoyed your whole article too!).
Thank you for posting the video, Anita. Candy seems like a really lovely person.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi Teresa,
You are right, Candy is a really lovely person. I'm glad you enjoyed the feature and it has persuaded you to buy the book. I thought you might be interested to know, National Geographic Kids picked Tall Story for its Brilliant Summer Books list.
All the best
Anita xxx

Candy Gourlay said...

Anita - I'm speechless! Thanks for this - can't wait to read the Writer's Forum article! I get very nervous seeing big pictures of me on the internet!