Monday, September 20, 2010

Cover Girl

I was recently asked to forward to my editor at Hopscotch some ideas for the book covers for the ICT series I am writing. I thought this was brilliant. I have never been asked to contribute to the design of the book cover before.

My first instinct was to suggest something really flash that will immediately attract the eye but, then I began thinking about expense. I doubt an educational publisher has money budgeted for amazing 3D-foil book covers. After all, it’s not like I’m a famous author or anything.

This got me thinking about a SCBWI Professional Series meeting I had been to last year, where they discussed author input into covers and editors explained how they have to balance what the author would like with what the booksellers want. I was surprised to learn at this meeting that many booksellers will make a judgement on whether to stock a book totally on the basis of the cover.

Well, as most of my books are sold direct to libraries and schools this may not be such a problem. But, I know as a consumer, I am more likely to pick up a book which I like the cover of, than a plain boring cover that just contains the title and author names. So, I had to think of something good.

Anyway, I am not sure how much I am allowed to tell you about what I said for the book design or even if they will take my input on board. So what is the point of blogging about it? Because, it is another milestone for me.

Oh yeah... and I get to post a selection of books with my name on, to show you the covers. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Alice L said...

What a lot of books!!!!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thank you. This is exactly half of the books I have had published so far.
All the best,
Anita
x