Sunday, August 08, 2010

SCBWI Picnic in the Park

Yesterday, I attended the first-ever SCBWI-BI Picnic in Kensington Gardens. I felt it was a very apt venue, due to the literary links with J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan
- the statue is there and JM Barrie lived just around the corner.

The venue was recommended to me by Becky Jones and Clare Lewis who have written a series of adventure walk books for families. There is a Peter Pan walk in their London Adventure Walks for Families: Tales of a City, with details about the park. See: http://www.adventurewalksforfamilies.co.uk/

All week I had been checking the weather and everyday it was different, but most days it said it was going to rain. But, I was determined not to cancel.
 
So me and my boys got on the train at 10am not knowing what the weather was going to be like. We had our rucksacks full of sandwiches and cakes but, that didn't stop us buying and devouring donuts as soon as we got to Paddington. We arrived at Kensignton Gardens at 11:30 - half an hour early. This gave the boys a chance to explore. I had been to visit the park a few weeks earlier, so it was fun showing them around. Soon everybody else started to arrive.
 
 
 
We were very lucky the weather stayed fine and the sun came out and we had to look for a shady spot to eat. The boys loved the Diana Memorial Playground and we spent several hours there. It was a great picnic and I am hoping to organise another one next year. The highlight for me was definitely meeting Muffin, Sue Eves very famous dog.
 
 
 
Sue has based her puppet, Woofy, on Muffin. I was lucky enough to have met Woofy at last year's SCBWI Winchester Conference, as you can see in the video below.  Sue told us all about her school visits and her excellent book The Quiet Woman and the Noisy Dog.

 

2 comments:

Lynne Hackles said...

Love the picnic idea. May borrow that one from you.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

cool! It was fun. Can I get an invite :)