Friday, August 06, 2010

Research Secrets

As some of you may know, I have a monthly column in the writing magazine Writers' Forum, where I talk to authors about the research they have done for their books. I find research fascinating and one of the careers I was contemplating, before I become a teacher, was a researcher for a big UK marketing company to do educational research.

I have been writing this column for nearly two years now and have had the pleasure of interviewing people like: the wonderful Julia Jarman, Michael Rosen, Cliff McNish, the amazing Peter James, Sarwat Chadda, Jane Borodale, Christina Jones, Jon Mayhew and the lovely Candy Gourlay, to name but a few.

This month, you can read my interview with Zoë Sharp, the thriller/crime writer. She has written nine novels featuring ex-Special Forces bodyguard Charlotte 'Charlie' Fox. Zoë has even taught a self-defence class at the Bouchercon Crime Writers Conference in Chicago.
© ZACE Photographic

She also likes to try out all the guns she writes about and reguarly goes to shooting ranges in the US. Here is a picture of her at Scottsdale AZ gun range:

©Mary Regan NYC photo http://nycphoto.interactivenyc.com/

Big gun, or what? If you would like to find out more about Zoë Sharp take a look at the feature on pages 16-17 in Writers' Forum, out in WHSmiths now.

No comments: