Monday, September 08, 2008

More Hits, More Exposure


Titles are important, not just on your book but for your blog posts as well. If I use a title with the person’s name I am blogging about, or the name of an event, or an organisation, when people search for things like Tony Bradman, the Tour of Britain (which finished today in Newbury near where I live), or SCBWI British Isles, my blog will come up and it will improve my ratings on search engines like Google.

I am aware I have not used very original titles for many of my posts. They tend to highlight what I am blogging about without the frills. Candy Gourlay always impresses me with her funny and interesting titles that still manage to push what her blog for the day is about.

It is also true, the more links with other websites you can make, the higher your ratings will be. That is why you should always have a links page on your website and if possible, ask for reciprocal links.

I suspect, like myself, many people do a Google Alert for themselves. This is where Google sends a message straight to your inbox whenever someone publishes your name on the Internet. This works very well when your name is Anita Loughrey, as there are not very many other Anita Loughrey’s out there. It enables me to keep track on what people are saying about me. However, it would not work quite as well if your name was John Smith.

So, when I put people’s names on my blog like Jane Wenham-Jones, or Lee Weatherly, they get an email sent to them saying I have done this and of course, like me they have to check it out and that means more hits for ME and consequently a higher Google rating and thus, more exposure and… well, we all know how I like to make an exhibition of myself.

And that is my blog for today.

7 comments:

Sue Hyams said...

I'd never thought of that! My blog post titles are a bit wishy-washy - must work on them! And as for the google thing - didn't even know it existed. You are, as ever, a mine of information!

Candy Gourlay said...

The best titles for me are the ones with 'How To ...' - they get a good number of visits when they first come out and then continue to draw readers long after. And whenever I mention 'Comics' i get a spike in my readership!

You could also try mentioning Brad Pitt, I really get lots of traffic when I do that. Why? Why?

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Oh dear, Candy I got confused... I was supposed to put Brad Pitt and I wrote Tony Bradman instead.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thanks Sue,
I'm glad you found it useful. I like being a mine of information, it makes me feel like one day I may just explode.

Candy Gourlay said...

>I was supposed to put Brad Pitt and I wrote Tony Bradman instead.

don't worry, it's easy to confuse the two.

Absolute Vanilla (and Atyllah) said...

Oh good! You're back! And with a vengeance, it seems!

Look, if you want lots of hits, just write "sex" all over your post - it's insane how much attention it attracts, although admittedly, most of it will probably be unwanted!

I find I'm getting a huge number of hits to my blog from people looking for images. Presumably the copyright notice on the blog does not deter them from nicking my shots!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi Nicky,

It's not so much I want more hits you know. I think I just want to know people are actually looking at my blog and website and all the effort is worth the time put into it.

As for the photos, they are amazing. I'm not surprised people want them. Don't know how you can stop them taking them without permission though. This is a very serious matter.

Best wishes,
Anita