Sunday, March 16, 2008

Katherine Halligan

Katherine Halligan is currently Editorial Director for Picture Books and Novelty at Scholastic UK. She joined Scholastic in September 2006, and since then has been responsible for re-launching their picture book list. She has worked with authors such as Angela McAllister and Malachy Doyle, and illustrators such as Gary Blythe, Charles Fuge, Caroline Jayne Church and Ross Collins. I interviewed her in November 2007, as one of the publisher panel speakers at the Bologna Biennal Conference 2008, which takes place on the 29th-30th March.

“At the risk of sounding obvious, a childhood passion for books and a love of words and pictures made it a clear choice for me [to go into children’s book publishing] – I can’t imagine doing anything else. I began my publishing career in foreign rights, as I had studied languages, but quickly realized I needed to be part of the creative process. My job now is a perfect outlet for my overactive imagination!”
Katherine Halligan (Scholastic, UK)

All interviews are immediately available to registered SCBWI Bologna Biennial Conference attendees. Full interviews will be available to the general public at www.cynthialeitichsmith.com in the near future.

To register for the conference, please go to: www.scbwi.org/events.htm and click on SCBWI@Bologna.

No comments: