Thursday, October 18, 2007

NaNoWriMo

Hi All,

You'll never guess what? I've decided to give NaNoWriMo a go. Do I think I can write 50,000 words in a month. I've no idea but, I certainly hope so and plan to give it a good try. This is me with my fingers poised ready to go.

I'm a little nervous but I reckon it is the kick I needed to get my Moira Miller idea, that has been brewing for nearly two years now, finally off the ground.

So I have signed up and read the instructions and Number 3 said, and I quote:

Tell everyone you know that you're writing a novel in November. This will pay big dividends in Week Two, when the only thing keeping you from quitting is the fear of looking pathetic in front of all the people who've had to hear about your novel for the past month. Seriously. Email them now about
your awesome new book. The looming specter of personal humiliation is a very
reliable muse.

So this is what I'm doing - telling you all I'm going to write a novel in a month. And you all have to check on me in Week Two and make sure I am still on track. Here is the link so you can check up on me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/217739

I'm going to start totally from scratch and try to keep in the NaNoWriMo spirit by not editing as I go along. but, that will be a hard one for me.

Wish me luck, because I am going to need it.

10 comments:

Jez said...

GOOD LUCK!

I did NaNo last year, got halfway because my computer broke down and my life picked up and it was all just crazy. I want to do it again this year, but I need to finish the novel I'm already working on and I believe the nano rules say it has to be something brand new and not started before hand. And since I'm in the third revision, that doesn't work for me...but I'll be keeping track of my word count unofficially :)

I wrote up some tips last year, maybe they'll be helpful to you!
http://typesetjez.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_archive.html

Best of luck, I'll be cheering you on :D

Sue Eves said...

Good Luck and stay offline as much as you can. Tell us all about it when you're done!
Sue
x

Jude said...

Hey- good luck Anita. What a challenge to set yourself. Hope it goes well!! Yep- follow Sue's advice.The internet is such a distraction

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. You're right about the Internet. I will have to limit my use of it. No chucking food at anyone on Facebook for a while.

Now Jez I was hoping to revamp my Moira Miller stuff and it looks like it may be against the rules as I have written some. But, in my opinion what I'd previously written, needs to be binned and started again from scratch.

Even so, I might have a re-think and write an adult novel instead. I got this idea about five women who meet every week in a coffee shop. But, I'm not sure how it's going to work at the moment. Do I have to write the novel in order?

I looked at your tiops and found it all very overwhelming. Think I may have taken on too much. LOL!

Jez said...

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll do splendidly!

And no, it doesn't have to be written in order, just so long as you're writing and making those word counts. Again, don't worry about it, just do your best!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thanks Jez.

Absolute Vanilla (and Atyllah) said...

GOOD LUCK!!! I categorically refuse to do something like NaNoWriMo - well for now, anyway, I just can't bear the idea of that sort of pressure. I know I can write 75 000 words in a month having done it last year - without NaNoWriMo! :-)

Hope it goes really well, will be rooting for you!

(Shucks, now who will I chuck food at on Facebook...?)

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi Nicky,

That's amazing 75,000 words in a month.

I decide on a brand new childnren's book idea which I am very excited about but, have the nasty habit of going back and editing as I go along, which means my word count is not as high as it should.

I keep telling myslef it is better to have 6000 words I feel pleased with than 16,000 words (that's how many I should have done by today) which are utter crap.

However, this is probably not in the spirit of NaNoWriMo.

Today, I think I definitely need something chucked at me.

On the plus side, at least I have opened the file.

All the best,
Anita

zookeeper08 said...

Anita,

Your post is the reason I signed up and am doing NaNoWriMo this year.

Thank you!

My novel is nothing I'm proud of and want to show off (at least, not unedited) but I am doing it, and that's the important part for now.

I just added you as a buddy on the site. Feel free to do the same - I'll keep tabs on you until you WIN.

K.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Oh dear, oh dear... the pressure!

Now I'm feeling really slack.

I best do some more writing then!

Thanks for the push.
Anita xxx