Sunday, July 08, 2007

Are you pressing the delete key too often and too quickly?


Pamela Johnson listed some techniques to help when editing your manuscripts:

She said, when re-writing a paragraph cut it and paste it into a new document.

Stephen King talks about the different stages of writing. He says we write too soon with the reader on our shoulder. Write the story as a draft first and then refine it to meet readerships. Only think of the reader in the final stage. In this way you are whittling up.

Remember the thin flat writing are the notes to yourself. The delete key is word doctoring.

If writing is talking on paper try to listen in.

  • What is it I’m trying to say?
  • What is it I can see?
  • What am I trying to show?

Voicing the work comes up through the layers.

You can’t write a book in one sitting just as you can’t edit in one sitting.

Other useful ideas Pamela suggested were:

  • Print off 5000 words and go somewhere else and read it aloud.
  • Highlight all the concrete nouns and verb phrase.
  • How precise can you get your verbs and nouns?
  • Find the active verb.

These techniques will help you to edit and refine your work.

Other useful posts on editing are:

All the best,
Anita
xxx

8 comments:

Jude said...

Anita thanks for these. They definitely got me thinking.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Great to know Jude.
Hope all is well with you.
Anita

Jez said...

Thank you once again!

Jez said...

Back again. I just printed out all these recent writing posts and I'm pinning them up on the bulletin board above my computer where I write to remind me of things that will help me as I push to finish my book.
Thankful as always,
Jez

Absolute Vanilla... (& Atyllah) said...

Great post, Anita - and just what I needed given that I am curretly in the depths of the first edit of my current WIP.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thanks all,

I've been having terrible trouble with my internet connection today and even when I manage to get online, my email is playing up so I can't send messages. As you can imagine, I've been feeling very frustrated and cross all afternoon.

But, your messages have helped to cheer me up.
So thanks again,
Anita

Absolute Vanilla... (& Atyllah) said...

Urgh, I know that feeling Anita - suddenly one ends up feeling so cut off from the world. Worryingly goes to show how much we've come to rely on technology! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xxx

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Absolutely!
Hope you have a great weekend too Nicky.
Love Anita xxx