Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Standing by my convictions

Hi All,

As a follow up to my previous post I thought I would let you know, I wrote to my local MPs and I got a reply.

This is what they said:


Dear Anita,

Thank you for your recent Email forwarded to me by West Berkshire District Council.

I do have considerable sympathy for your concerns and your obvious passion regarding childrens education and the history of this Great Country. I am of an age when as a child, there was little restriction regarding such celebration. In fact I can remember when very young, attending a St Georges day Parade culminating in the rest of the day off from school.

However that is not the world that we now live in, as one of your local Councillors I frequently find levels of restriction imposed upon personal opinion. Political correctness, does however have considerable benefits in our current society as it ensures a mechanism not to unwittingly cause offence to the wide and varied structure of our community.

I wish you well in your efforts to achieve an additional Public Holiday, but I fear that the cost will ultimately be borne by the general public and perhaps it is support from the business community that is needed.

Yours Sincerely

TSJ Port



Well, I think the gist of the letter is that we can't celebrate St George's Day or put the word saint on the front of children's books, not only incase it offends people but, because it is too expensive.


What do you think? Maybe I've totally misunderstood.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

All the best,
Anita
xxx

5 comments:

Jude said...

S/He does imply this Anita but I get the impression this concern over political correctness is more what this particular politician feels s/he has to endure. S/He seems to suggest it isn't his/her place to enforce such a ruling- ie to free up St George's Day. His /her reference to businesses seems to be more the point. Is he saying businesses have more power than politicians? I don't even want to consider what was being said/ implied here.

If St George's Day as a holiday were to become a reality, would you envisage St David's Day being a day off in Wales, St Patrick's Day in Ireland and St Andrew's in Scotland?

Patriotism is something everyone feels, regardless of origins. I think the problem arises when this spills over into fanaticism.

It is always the significant minority in any nation who causes problems for the majority, so perhaps it is the fear of fanatacism, in all forms, that causes such caution in the voice of politicians.

I can certainly draw a parallel with my teaching experiences: minority problem makers v majority law abiding, peaceful citizens. Sorry to have gone on, but you did ask!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Thanks for your comments Jude, which I thought were right on target. Still a bit obsessive though to not include the word 'saint' on the front cover of a book. Or have I said that already?

Lisa Booth said...

i think its a total load of crap! To us English, its St George and we are in England, with heritage values to think of and pass on to our children, just because other religions do not allow "st" itll always be part of the english heritage and i think its totally crap how they want to temove the "st" its like christmas, and how ""they"" want to abolish that... what english heritage and english ways will we be allowed soon er or later?

Lisa Booth said...

im sorry to be blunt! but i do like to say what i mean or theres just no point in saying anything!

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hey Lis,
Don't thinnk you've got a problem writing a bad review at all. LOL! You're on a roll. so say what you think about that CD.
Love
Anita