Thursday, April 19, 2007

I've gone identity mad!

I really love Mika's Grace Kelly.

Apparently, he wrote it after receiving loads of rejections. If you listen to the words you'll see it's about his experiences of changing his style to meet what the music people in charge wanted. Being angry doesn't solve anything. Why not watch and see for yourself.





Like Mika says:

Do I attract you?
Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?
Am I too dirty?
Am I too flirty?
Do I like what you like?

I could be wholesome
I could be loathsome
I guess I'm a little bit shy
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me without making me try?

I try to be like Grace Kelly
But all her looks were too sad
So I try a little Freddie
I've gone identity mad!

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!

How can I help it
How can I help it
How can I help what you think?
Hello my baby
Hello my baby
Putting my life on the brink
Why don't you like me
Why don't you like me
Why don't you like yourself?
Should I bend over?
Should I look older just to be put on the shelf?

I try to be like Grace Kelly
But all her looks were too sad
So I try a little Freddie
I've gone identity mad!

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!

Say what you want to satisfy yourself
But you only want what everybody else says you should want

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!

These words relate to writers of all genres - not just music. Anybody who has ever had to deal with rejection can realate to this song.

Do the general public only want what everybody else says they should want? I think the popularity of Mika's music proves that they don't. So there is hope for all of us - a silver liniing on the horizon. We should all say what we want to satisfy ourselves. That is what writing is all about.

Don't you think this song is just brilliant? If I were you I'd listen to it again.

To find out more about Mika and his music take a look at his MySpace: www.myspace.com/mikamyspace

And because this post is unusually deep for me, here's another one:





This one is just COOL! And I've posted it because I like it so much. Excuse me while I dance around the room. Can you mosh pit on your own? I've no idea! But, who cares?

5 comments:

Sue Eves said...

I love this song!
Mika was the reason I joined myspace - I wanted to play Grace Kelly over and over again so I added it to my profile.
I played it to my partner who booked him for a festival but then Mika got a number 1 and his fee went up...too much for this festival - lucky Mika!
Sue
x

Wilf said...

Can't play it on my pc so had to goto my daughter's who naturally had already heard it. Love the words.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi Sue and Addy,

Yes, it's very cool! The words are spot on.

I've added a Mika vid to my MySpace profile now too.

Anita

Lisa Booth said...

hehe i love your "music review" hehe thought that was supposed to be my speciality! haha

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Wow! did I write a music review? maybe I should add it to my CV!