Monday, March 12, 2007

Pulped Fiction

A link to this article from The Independent was posted in one of my Forums and I thought you all might be interested.

Take a look at: Pulped fiction: Publishing is booming. So why are writers struggling?

It is most enlightning. Although, I don't think many authors turn to writing nowadays with the illusion they are going to make mega money. A friend of mine told me that an educational book has a shelf life of about five years and then it goes out of print. You have to keep up a large turn over of books to make any money at it.

You know what that means? I best get some work done!

6 comments:

Susan Abraham said...

Hi Anita,
I did contribute to the Guardian blog on this article.
I was part of quite a humoured crowd
Most weren't writing for the money although there was much hoping.
I settled with my conscience a while ago that it was for my pure love of writing and not for the money.
Thank God, I'd now say.
I know the article is right about one-hit wonders.
Publishers aren't always sharp on intuition.
But what I found doubly sad was the fact of their intended association with Richard & Judy. To pick only a manuscript that had a chance of appearing on this show...where do the rest of us stand? But for some reason, I feel detached from it all and will still submit my manuscript as usual.
Thanks, Anita. :-)

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I still firmly believe that perserverence pays off - so yes keep submitting those manuscripts Susan.
All the best,
Anita

Jude said...

I think we have to accept this sad state of affairs but writing isn't about money really, is it?

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Too true, Jude. You have to love it else your heart just isn't in it. I think you can tell when you read something whether the person has enjoyed writing it or not.
Anita

Khylan Seriphyn said...

I don't know. It's probably me, but I got a whole lot of whinging about how little (or no) money a writer can get when they get published, than the point of getting a book published.

Boy, did this writer rabbit on... The article was hillarious!

Thanks Anita.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I know. But, it is surprising how many people go into writing thinking they will make BIG money.