Wednesday, January 24, 2007

CRB Checks

Before authors make school visits they need to be cleared by the Criminal Records Bureau. The NAWE issue a universal clearance for authors else you have to have individual clearance from each separate education authority. The Society of Authors has recently produced a quick guide to visiting schools which covers, amongst other things, agreements before you go in to the school and invoicing.

But, even if you have this clearance it is recommended you insist you are not left alone with the children. All too often teachers see author visits as an opportunity for some desperately needed non-contact time. But, you are putting yourself in a compromising situation if you agree to this. And I'm talking as an ex-teacher.

My CRB clearance ran out last July. I filled in the forms to re-new it in September and I am still waiting for West Berkshire to clear me. I would have thought since it was simply a case of renewing my previous clearance it would not have taken over four months.

Anyway, I found this cool site today when I was zapping on the ‘Next Link’ tab at the top of the page. I’m trying to leave messages on three new blogs every day. So, if you are visiting me because I visited you, please leave a message and let me know.

Well, about this blog I found - you can do a criminal record check on anybody you want. Isn’t that cool! Here is the link: Undercover Detective. Maybe I should tell West Berks?

I believe the delay in my clearance has a lot to do with the discovery that the records of many sexual offenders coming to the UK from abroad were not put on the database and so they’ve been able to get jobs in schools, etc. In my mind, this is probably what is holding up all the police clearances. It makes me wonder, for how long were they aware of this before it hit the news. Somehow, I think the problem was discovered during the summer.
Anita Loughrey (Amateur Sleuth)

8 comments:

mumatwork said...

Hi anita! thanks for visiting my blog and leaving cool comments! This is really interesting about the criminal check. so are planning to go into school visits? how do you get into that?

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

At the moment I'm not really planning to do any school visits. I'm still trying to avoid teaching. I just help out at the web club at my son's school so need to keep my CRB up-to-date to do it. maybe sometime in the future I will enjoy going in to schools again. When I've got my novel published. Having to do assemblies at the drop of a hat is something I know I can do.

Lis said...

Hi Anita! I cannot believe how long it has taken for them to send that through how ridiculous is that? Anyway see ya soon x

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I know! After a while you begin to wonder whether you've got the same name as a psycho killer and that is why it's taking them so long.

Wilf said...

Hi Anita, thanks for visiting Wilf - he always enjoys your comments! CRB checks are a longwinded pest. I do know of situations where teachers have been teaching and waiting for their checks to come through. Hmmm...
Addy

Atyllah said...

Hi Anita, thanks for visiting the Hen House - we like visits - provided they are not from parasitic, vain, muttony-lamb old bats! ;-)

The checks, while clearly necessary, seem a bit of a pain in the butt - especially if it's taking that long to renew your CRB.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Tell me about it. I have to have an LSA sit in with me whilst I do the webclub, as the insurance isn't valid without it. I think they must be paying her to sit there. Pity they're not paying me too - I'm a fool to myself.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

You may all be pleased to hear my CRB check came through today. it took 21 weeks.