Sunday, October 15, 2006

Book Review - Pick Me Up

ISBN 1-4053-1621-7
Dorling Kindersley
www.dk.com/pickmeup
Edited by David Roberts
£19.99 (Hardback)


Pick Me Up is an amazing book and like no other encyclopaedia I’ve ever seen before. It is the type of book that would enthral anyone who loves the Guinness Book of Records. As the title suggests, once you pick this book up you most definitely can’t put it down. Even the moving-transfer-effect front cover had me captivated before I’d even managed to open the book. If you simply want to find out a quick fact and get on with something else, this is NOT the book for you. It is full of some of the most interesting and some of the most futile facts ever. One of my favourite pages is the page where it says, ‘What is the meaning of life? Turn to page 42.’ Hitchhiker Guide’s to the Galaxy fans will understand.

You can forget trying to look things up in alphabetical order too, as it is not a book for reading from cover to cover. In fact, it is virtually an impossible task to read it cover to cover because, Pick Me Up works in the in the same way as those adventure game books, where you decide between options and are then directed to the page of your choice for a different snippet of information each time you read. Pick Me Up will have you jumping all over the place – from dinosaurs to brains, from Einstein to a hilarious poo-o-meter. What’s the connection? I’m not quite sure. It made sense when I read it. You’ll have to read the book yourself to find out.

I think this book will fascinate children and adults of all ages. In our fast moving society of X-Boxes and PS2’s, children seem to have smaller and smaller attention spans and Pick Me Up satisfies the need to move on to something new. You haven’t got time to be bored. My three-year-old son was absorbed in the pictures; my eight-year-old son has been irritatingly quoting facts at me for days. My twelve-year-old daughter described it as ‘…bright, fun and random.”

In my opinion, Pick Me Up is a great buy for Christmas. You can also check out the website to play a cool library-based game connected to the book.

1 comment:

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

Hi All,

Dorling Kindersley emailed me out of the blue and asked me to review this great new book Pick Me Up. I was very happy to do it.

Since writing this review I have also sarted reviewing children's books and teacher resources for www.writeaway.org.uk - an online website for teachers, librarians and all those interested in children and their books. the first is to appear in December.

If any other children's publishers would like me to review any other books on my blog. Please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Anita