Saturday, August 12, 2006

Interesting Article

There is an interesting article on the Times Online website this week about the controversy between the large book stores and big-time publishers, which I thought some of you may be interested in - Buyer Beware.

This article supports the post I wrote on The Book Selling Debate and Suzanne Ruthven's advice that small publishers are more supportive of new writers in the article Plotting and Coursing Your Novel with Suzanne Ruthven

As a mother of an ADHD daughter, I know exactly what the president of the Association of Authors’ Agents, Clare Alexander, means.

However, as Susan Abraham pointed out on Jude’s Writing Blog, small publishers in UK take on few manuscripts a year, compared to the hundreds received each week. The publishing world is becoming more and more competitive. I would be interested to hear your comments and opinions on this debate.

2 comments:

Nicky said...

We were discussing this over the weekend. The Times article was excellent and I think perhaps the breaker to all this may well come from the impact of the internet, especially what is called Web 2.0 ie the social web. I think, if as writers, we want to break the deadlock and find a place for ourselves, it's going to be up to us to find new ways of reaching audiences and generating an income from those audiences. I haven't quite got my head around the how - but my instinct tells me this is from where the challenges to the publishing and book industry will come.

Anita Marion Loughrey said...

I think fictional blogs and websites for characters from books are going to become increasingly popular and will be part of the future of books particularly children's books.
Anita